Monday, February 11, 2008

Webcast Academy

After moderating a few large group conference calls via skype earlier this past fall, I decided to get a little more formal experience in webcasting by enrolling in the Webcast Academy's class of 2.4. The Webcast Academy is essentially an online course where you learn all about the world of producing, airing, and moderating a webcast. I have to say that this has been a wonderful experience for me! The class began in early January and we have meetings each Sunday from 1:00-2:00 PM. People from all over the world are in the class of 2.4. Classmates include people from England, Germany, all over the US, China, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I've been many, many connections throughout the experience. I'm probably about half way done with the experience and I think I've done a fairly decent job of keeping up with all of my assignments. Last week I collaborated on a live webcast with three educators from New Hampshire where we had a conversation with a WWII Veteran and USS Oklahoma/Pearl Harbor survivor, Paul Goodyear. It was really neat because we had schools from all over listening in to the conversation. My brother even listened in live from his desk in Washington DC and my sister listened in live as well from the Detroit area.

The conversation with Paul was absolutely amazing. He is truly a special, special guy. The entire conversation was recorded and is posted online at my portfolio page at the webcast academy.

If you're interested in learning more about Webcasting and creating authentic experiences and opportunities for your students, then I would recommend that you take a look at participating. You'll meet some amazing people and learn a great deal in the academy!

Related Links:
Edtechtalk Live
Paul Goodyear Interview Planning Page

No comments: